Monday, November 5, 2012

Gratitude Challenge: Day 5

I'm thankful for my brothers and sister today.  As I mentioned before, my brother, Erik, and his girlfriend, Sandy, are visiting for a few days.  I had a chance to spend the morning with them.  We had pleasant and stimulating conversation and good food.  They introduced me to Korean cuisine today.  I tried bulgogi, 3 types of kimchi, a bit of fried fish, turnip soup, and bean sprouts.  I enjoyed it very much.

I feel very lucky to have this visit with them--they live far away, and their lives are very different from mine, but I feel we have a deep, mutual respect for one another, and value each others' opinions even when we don't agree.  I learn a lot from them about music, culture, food, and they have many funny stories about places they've been and people they know.  I appreciate the short time we have together.

My brother, Ben, is a very special person in my life.  He is funny, gentle, and easy going (a big thing for a guy with Autism!) and out family wouldn't be the same without him.  One of my favorite things about him is that he will occasionally spontaneously tell me, "I love you, Gina."  It comes from nowhere, and it's very genuine.

Finally, I am grateful for my beautiful sister.  We are 10 years apart in age, but I don't really feel it.  We help each other as much as we can, and we enjoy spending time together--when we have a moment or two to spare!  I love her dearly, and I know she and I have a special bond.  We laugh together, cry together, share stories and experiences, and ask each other for advice.  No one can break us apart, and she and I both know that there have been people who have tried.  Anyone who knows us knows that we are truly sisters by chance, but I know that God planned it this way all along. 

No comments: