Recently, we signed Lucy up over at the YMCA for swimming and gymnastics. She's having a blast, and that's exactly what I want for her. Since starting both activities, I have had the opportunity to chat with and observe other parents with their kids in these same activities. The ones I've talked to are nice, and are there for the same reason I am--our kids need some activity, and we want to give them a chance to explore some different, fun things to do.
But the parents I won't talk to, the ones who get dirty looks from me, are the ones who are obviously there because their child WILL be an Olympic swimmer/gymnast. If they have anything to say about it, that is.
My first experience with this was in the gymnastics class. Now, the title of the class is "Preschool Gymnastics", and the description contains phrases like "for ages 4 and 5" and "basic introduction" and "supportive staff". This is what I want. So we show up on Day 1, and the teachers are doing some warm-up stretching with the kids. One father is standing just a few feet behind his daughter, and she's trying her best to keep up with the warm-ups and do them just like the teacher. But she's little. This is her first class. No matter. The father picks her up and says, "If you can't do it the way the teacher says, then you're not doing it at all." She starts to cry, and he begins walking toward the door. Excuse me? Uh, she's four. And come to find out, she had just turned four the previous week. He finally brought her back in and let her finish the class, but the fun was completely sucked out of it for her. And I wasn't sure if what I had witnessed was an abusive, controlling parent, or an adult living vicariously through his child. Either way, it's disgusting.
And if you thought that was bad, I almost smacked the woman I watched yesterday. This time, it was during swimming class. I first saw this witch rapidly walking through the locker room telling her 7 or 8 year old daughter to "hurry up and get in the pool". So Lucy and I catch up with them just as the girl is getting into one of the lap lanes and I hear the mother say, "Fifty breast strokes. Go." And the girl does her fifty. Then the mother barks, "Fifty back strokes." And again, the girl takes off to do fifty of those. Meanwhile, the mother is making her younger son write all his upper- and lower-case alphabet letters before HIS swimming class. She's in the middle of telling him that his K's are all wrong when the girl gets back to our side of the pool, and is waiting there for her next instruction. The mother gets done with the letter K, and turns to the girl and says, "Did I say you could take a break? Fifty butterflies. Go." And the girl says, "How about 25?" And then the mother says, "I'm in charge, and I say fifty. You'll do fifty." And I'm thinking, "Geez, lady...what did your parents do to you?" What got me the most was that there was NO praise, smiles, or compassion. At all. And I thought of those poor kids who live with this crappy, controlling mother, and I wanted to shout, "They're going to resent you, you know. I hope it's worth it."
I am so grateful I didn't have parents who pushed me into anything. In fact, we had to beg my mom to allow us to be involved in music, since she herself was so burned out with it all. If I had wanted to be on the tennis team, fine. If not, oh well. My parents knew we wouldn't be the next Andre Agassi, Nancy Kerrigan, Lance Armstrong, or Michael Phelps. And bottom line, I doubt that the majority of pushy parents get an olympian or even a professional athlete out of all their demands on their kids to be the best. I don't care if my kids are the best. I just want them to be healthy, happy, and just plain, good people.
Gina
4 comments:
5 paragraphs? Is that all you can do? I didn't tell you you could stop. If you really want to be a successful novel writer, you will stop giving up and give me 10 more paragraphs. Backwards!
Anywho...
I want my girls to succeed, and I push them to do their best, and I get mad at parents who give up without any effort to encourage their children to succeed... but... I hope I'm never the Nazi Dad who forgets to throw in the praise along with the corrections. Today in the car as my 19 month old and I were driving home from the store, we got all the way through the alphabet and the numbers 1-10! With a 19 month old! She is learning so fast its amazing, and I think it is in part because I say, with Obama, "yes, you can!"
But we also had a bunch of high-fives along the way as she pronounced difficult letters (W is "dubbadee" and it is so stinking cute!)
Did I say you could write this? Why are you wasting your time on a frivolous thing like a blog. If you want to write so damned bad, why don't you start with a resume! Hmmmmm?
Not only that, why are you wasting computer time? You could be using it to make all kinds of money - even while you sleep! I heard the commercial on the radio. You better get at it and don't come home until you've made that first million! Do you understand, young lady! I'm in charge here! Just ask your mother! I have to!
VW
I completely agree with you, Gina. I want to smack those parents, too.
Some parents are crazy! I just want my kids to have fun and they usually learn while doing that. Ive already seen that behavior tons around here!
Post a Comment