But in lieu of some new pictures of the girlies, I am prepared to give a very thourough accounting of all the neat, cute, wonderful, obnoxious things Lucy and Amy are doing, as of late.
Amy first.
Amy has hit the terrible twos. Her days are spent either getting into something she's not supposed to, or throwing a huge tantrum for getting caught getting into something she's not supposed to. David and I were talking about how difficult the transition between the ages of 1 to 2 is. Then we thought about 2 to 3. Ugh. Then comes 3. Frankly, 3 is no picnic, and from what we've seen, neither is 4. But I digress.
Here's a short list of new "skills" Amy has acquired over the last few weeks:
- She can flush the toilet all by herself. She doesn't actually USE the toilet, but she can sure flush it. And flush it again. And again. And yet again. She even knows to close the lid first.
- She feels it is her personal responsibility to dump water on Lucy's head when they're in the tub together. She also enjoys pushing Lucy in the bath, and constantly taking Lucy's spot. Needless to say, Lucy is not amused. Taking a bath alone is no fun, because there's no Lucy to manhandle.
- She picks up all kinds of new words every day. Just the other morning she asked me, "Have you seen the backpack?" Literally. Those were her exact words. When I told her where to check for it, she toddled off and then I heard her say, "Oh, here it is!"
- She loves shoes. It doesn't matter whose shoes they are. She'll put them on and want to go out somewhere. Her current favorite pair? Lucy's rain boots that are still a size or two too big for Lucy, but Amy is surprisingly agile in them.
- Okay, this isn't a skill, but I want to mention that Amy's favorite TV shows are Max and Ruby (Nick Jr.) and Charlie and Lola (Disney). She either asks for "Maa 'n Reeree" or "Sharrey 'n Loh-la". It's very cute, but also obnoxious--she could monopolize the TV all day if we let her. I know all the experts' opinions about kids and TV, and frankly, my kids don't watch all that much. Anyone who thinks my kids shouldn't watch TV can come over and do my housework for me while I play with them. I can't get anything done without a half-hour to myself here and there.
- Amy LOVES to brush her teeth, and she's good at it. If taking a bath is her #1 favorite activity, brushing her teeth is definitely #2. She likes to have the tiniest bit of toothpaste on the brush (and believe me, what I put on is not measurable by any household measurement container) and she just goes to town. She's keeping her pearly whites pearly!
And now, Lucy.
- Lucy is 4 going on 25. She always has been that way, but it's especially apparent lately. She's at the stage where she doesn't think she needs an afternoon nap, even though she really still needs one. She stays awake all day, and then by 6 PM, she's falling apart. I've gotten into the bad habit of letting her watch a movie when Amy goes down to sleep in the afternoon, and today was the last day of that. Tomorrow it's back to lying down with a few books to read. I hate to whine, but I really need some time to myself.
- She has a vivid imagination...yesterday she was on her way to vacations in "Spanish" and "Hawaii". I was invited to go to "Mamarckica", but sadly, I was unable to go because I had to stay home and put Amy to bed.
- Her drawing and writing have improved a lot, and she loves to draw and display her artwork on the fridge. She's also quite handy with the digital camera, and took several pictures of her playdough creations last week. I'll get those posted as soon as I can.
- Perhaps the biggest news at our house is that Lucy is beginning to read! I have a Dick and Jane Treasury, as well as Dick and Jane board books, and she loves them. Yes, it's repetition, and the stories are simple, but it's a start. She really enjoys reading them, and she's getting the hang of it very quickly. She has become curious about what things say, and that's definitely a new thing. She's known her letters for about 18 months or so, and now she's realizing that putting letters together makes words. So cool to watch the process happen for her.
Well, for now, I'm putting an end to my writing. David has arrived home from work, and I get to go out by myself to buy toilet paper and bananas! Wow...how did I ever get SO lucky?
More soon!
Gina
No comments:
Post a Comment