Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Missing Piece

I just visited my own blog and was horrified to see that my last post was on February 2nd!  I really love blogging, but I guess my heart just hasn't been in it.  I don't want to be too busy, too tired, or too uninspired to blog.  My kids don't do amazing, funny, or irritating things on a daily basis.  I don't like to share the irritating things anyway, because I don't want to expose the less-than-patient moments I have, and I don't want anyone to think my kids are less-than-adorably perfect.

Sometimes I really feel the need to write something about me, but I haven't felt like this is the place for me to do that, and Facebook isn't either.  I like Facebook for being able to catch up on what's happening with other people, but I don't like the lack of permanence of posting there.  Sure, there's always going to be a record of anything anyone types, but the posts just seems fleeting and inaccessible to me.  One could argue that a blog isn't permanent either.  It is on the internet, after all.  But apparently, there are companies out there who will print your blog, bind it, and send it to you.  As far as I know, no one offers that for Facebook posts.

I guess what I have taken a long time to say is that something is missing.  I've been thinking about this a lot in the last week or so, and I think I finally figured it out. What's missing on my blog aren't pictures and updates on my family (although lately, yes, that has been lacking).  What's missing is me and my feelings about the pictures and updates on my family.  I very rarely say anything about what I'm up to--other than that I'm doing the same mundane stuff that makes up the life of a stay-at-home mom.  And it's even rarer for me to actually insert any of my own emotions into any update I type.

I think that for my blog to go forward, I'm going to have to suck it up, get in touch with my feelings, and sit down and write about it.  If I don't do this, I'll just lose interest in blogging altogether, and it will be one more item on my "Things I Never Finished" list.  And worse, Carolyn (whose blog is full of cute pictures of her kids AND her feelings about them and life in general) would never let me live it down.

3 comments:

Braden said...

If you go to Facebook.com/download you can download a file that contains all of your posts and pictures. Also there's a company called social memories that looks like they will print out your Facebook posts into a hardcover book if you want. It looks like they're based out of England.

Gina said...

Thanks, but for me, blogging is a better fit for most topics.

me said...

YOU KNOW IT! HA HA!
Honestly, you do what you want to do. I would love reading more posts, no matter if you think they are important or not. I love reading about your cute family and the things you do.
For instance a starting post: How is Amy doing after her surgery? :)