Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Amy Jo's Post-Op Update

Amy's Pre-Op Picture
On March 29th, Amy had her tonsils and adenoids removed.  Incidentally, this surgery is called a "T&A".  (My male readers, if I had any, would appreciate this.)  Anyway, Amy's surgery went really well.  The ENT said her tonsils were quite large, and it was definitely a good thing we chose to have them removed.  She was a little weepy as she was coming out of the anesthesia, but soon perked up and was asking the nurse repeatedly when she could go home.  When they discharged her, they instructed me that she was still "under the influence" of anesthesia and narcotic pain medication, and I needed to protect her from injuries and falls for the next 24 hours.  I took this to mean that it was my responsibility to save her from herself.

We got home, and she bounded into the house like she was coming home from the park.  I offered her a popsicle, juice, & ice cream, but she refused them all and instead spent the next few minutes leaping across the living room shouting, "I'M FILLED WITH THE JOY OF SPRING!"  I reminded myself of the nurse's instructions and told Amy to "sit down before you fall down".

The next 10 days were spent coaxing/threatening her to take her antibiotic--bubble gum flavored Amoxicillin.  Who doesn't love that stuff?!  Amy sure doesn't.  She gagged EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.  Combine that with waking up in the middle of the night every night to give her more Tylenol & Ibuprofen, and I was one tired, cranky mama.

But last week, we saw the ENT for her follow-up appointment, and he said she was healing very well!  She's back at school and doing great.  Her voice is still really nasally (and annoying--sorry, Amy), but that should go back to normal over the next couple of months.

Day 4 Post-Op

1 comment:

me said...

I'm filled with the joy of Spring! That is awesome! More now that she is allowed to do that.
I'm glad that she is healing great. I'm sure you had to have been nervous for her. I hate watching my kiddos go under for procedures. Great job girls!