Thursday, March 17, 2011

Animal Love

Recently, Lucy told me she would like to be a veterinarian.  I think she would be excellent at it.  (I think she would be excellent at anything she wanted to do.)  She's been asking me for her own pet quite a lot, and I've told her that there are 3 cats and a dog here that need lots of love and care.  So lately, I've noticed that she has bonded more with Milo, the oldest cat, and Bear, the dog.

BEAR
Lucy has been reading to Bear.  She'll sit down next to him and read him a book.  One afternoon, she read a book that had a dog in it, and she got to that page and said, "Bear, this is your part.  Say, 'bark! bark!'"  He growled a little and she said, "Close enough."  When she finished the book, he had his eyes closed and she was so proud that she read him to sleep!  She also VOLUNTEERS to take on the task of picking up the poo when we take Bear for a walk.  It doesn't gross her out!  What an awesome kid!

MILO
Milo sleeps on Lucy's bed at night, and Lucy really loves this.  Milo doesn't mind when Lucy plays with him, picks him up, or lays next to him.  I think it's sweet.  At school, they've had someone from US Bank come in and talk to the kids about families, money, and needs and wants.  She brought home a worksheet from yesterday that instructed the kids to "Color the needs red.  Color the wants blue."  The pictures were: a plate of food, a video game system, a house, a cat, a shirt, and rollerblades.  Lucy colored the video game system and the rollerblades blue, and the food, house, shirt, and cat red.  Near the cat, she drew an arrow pointing to it with the words, "To feel happy when sad."  It's pretty astute of her to understand that not only do we need to have our basic needs met (food, shelter, and clothing), but that happiness and love are also needs.

1 comment:

me said...

I remember Milo! You guys had him at Cypres Cove didn't you?