Friday, July 23, 2010

I Wonder As I Wander

I love to wander around on the internet.  I end up visiting some pretty interesting sites.  Some are interesting in that "I don't remember how I got here, but I won't be visiting again" kind of way.  Sort of like a strip club.

But I digress.

I stumbled onto a cool site called Tiny House Blog.  I love small space living.  There's something so liberating about having just enough room for the essentials of living, and no more.  Having a smaller home means less for me to clean and maintain.  It also means warmth and coziness in the fall and winter, and being drawn to the outdoors in the spring and summer.  I especially like how many people with smaller spaces don't compromise on comfort and style--they just do it on a smaller scale.

I haven't quite figured out how to exist comfortably in a small space when there are children involved, however.  It will take some time to work that out, I think.  Also, for me, I wouldn't want our family of 5 living in 800 square feet unless we had a huge parcel of land that was ours too.  (I'm talking like 5 acres here.)

But I would want room for a huge garden, maybe a few chickens, a horse or two, and plenty of space for the kids to run and be free.  In my mind, it's much easier to eat, sleep, and live in a small space if there's a lot of room to spread out outdoors.

For now, I'll just be content with dreaming about my little house.  Maybe someday I'll decide to build it.

1 comment:

me said...

Being in an apartment right now makes me want a larger place, but not too big either. Just room for everyone to stretch and a yard, OH A YARD would be awesome. It's so hard not having somewhere for the kids to safetly run free and get their energy out.

But like you, for now I will dream of the time when this will happen.