Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Accidental Homeschool Mom

I have fully begun my homeschooling journey this year with all three girls.  I can honestly say that I NEVER in my life expected to teach my children at home.  In fact, if someone had told me when my kids were littler that I would be doing this by my own choice, I would have laughed hysterically and wondered about the person's mental state.  I'm not laughing now, and I'm sure many people are wondering about MY mental state.  (I know my neighbor is!)

It's been more than a month since my daughters and I started our daily school routine, but the prayerful consideration and preparation for this endeavor began many months ago.  My reasons for homeschooling were (and still are) a bit fuzzy when I try to enumerate them, but because the Lord told me this was right for our family at this time, I trusted the answer and moved forward.

Last week, it was recommended to me that perhaps I should send Lucy to the 5-day-a-week self-contained classroom for "gifted" kids so she can spend more time with peers in her age and ability level.  The suggestion included the insight that because Lucy's brain is constantly working, her inability to focus on mundane tasks such as eating, sleeping, brushing her teeth, etc. was caused by a lack of mental stimulation.  The gifted program would most certainly offer her plenty of stimulation.

While I appreciate the advice, I fail to see how spending all day being "mentally stimulated" at school would help her focus on the mundane tasks of daily living.  I don't understand how being around kids who are "just like her" will help her with some of the issues she exhibits in social situations.  I also slightly resent the inference that I am unable to challenge her enough here at home. 

I had previously shared with this person my concerns about the Common Core State Standards as one of my reasons for homeschooling my children.  However, when I really stop to think about the reasons why I made this choice, Common Core rates pretty far down on the list.  There are other reasons why we are homeschooling.  And so, in an effort to clarify my reasons for myself, and to make it easier for me to respond when placed in a similar situation again, I'm making my list (and checking it twice).

Why I Chose Homeschooling For My Family

#1: More family time.  (This really is my #1 reason for choosing this path.)  With a spouse who works two jobs, I cherish the little bit of time we have when we're all together.

#2: More time for my kids to be kids--not "little adults".  The play more, and get along better now.  They also don't have to hear about stuff on the playground that I'd rather not have them knowing just yet.

#3: No homework (busywork).  When school is over for the day, it's over.  After dinner, we have time to read together, play a little longer, and spend some time with Daddy.

#4: More activities and opportunities now that we have extra time.  We just signed up at the YMCA, and each girl can do her own thing and it's all at one location.

#5: I am able to tailor my kids' lessons to their abilities and interests.  If they need extra support in reading, but excel in math, it's not difficult to provide that.  I don't have to do it for 25 kids.

#6: I can teach my kids things that they don't learn in traditional school--growing food, cooking, basic sewing, simple home repairs, and many, many more.

#7: The Lord told me this is right, and because it's right, I have His help.  It's not easy, and takes a lot of planning and preparation each week.  But I'm not second-guessing myself or my Heavenly Father.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.  (Philippians 4:13.)

2 comments:

me said...

WOW! Go you! I had no idea you had pulled Amy as well. I am still not sure what to do next year when Ally is kindergarten age. I'm happy you are happy with your choice. We get "suggestions" all the time with Jared. I "love" it!

Dee said...

I have seen your classroom. You exert a lot of energy teaching your girls. And you do an excellent job. It is a blessing to hear your 4-year-old reading. You go girl!