A friend of mine sent this to me today:
Politically, I'm not a Ron Paul supporter--but then, I'm not a political supporter of anyone lately. I watched the portion of the interview about education and homeschooling. (The other portion is about the potential for a third political party in the US.) Honestly, I have to agree with both Glenn Beck and Dr. Paul about homeschooling vs. our current education system. I have been very careful not to criticize those who choose public education for their children. Partly because I never in my life expected to be homeschooling my own daughters. But also partly because I know that not everyone has the desire or option to teach their kids at home.
I will say this: we are closer as a family, the girls get along better together, and we have more time to spend doing the things we love now that we aren't burdened by having to make the mad dash to school every day. I feel like I have more time to teach the gospel daily, rather than try to dish out some little gospel "nugget" that I hope they'll remember as they jump out of the car and run into the school building.
We begin every day with a prayer. We say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning, and we've talked about what it means. About what freedom means. We're learning history that I KNOW kids in school aren't learning. Today, while reading about the Pilgrims, Amy said, "God protected them, didn't He, Mom?" (Sure can't say THAT in school.)
Lucy is reading Swiss Family Robinson, Amy is working her way through 3rd grade math (she's a 2nd grader who chronologically should really be a 1st grader), and Sadie began learning to read about 6 weeks ago. Give her the name of an animal, and ask her if it's a vertebrate or invertebrate. She's right about 95% of the time.
Sorry for bragging. I've seen so many positive changes in my girls since beginning to homeschool, and sometimes it just spills over. :)
1 comment:
Way to go girls!
I agree with you completely! Is completely spelled right? It looks weird to me.
Either way, way to go girls and Mom! That is awesome!
Post a Comment