I am not a sender of Christmas cards. I simply don't have the time. This year, thanks to my aunt, all of my family and friends will be receiving beautiful electronic Christmas cards from Jacquie Lawson. It's the first time I've ever sent a card during the holidays.
Anyway, even though I don't send Christmas cards, I do love to read the Christmas letters that other people send. It's interesting to see what they've been up to during the year. I don't really have the time to put one together (let alone the time to send it), but I thought this would be a good place to write a few lines about 2010.
I heard Garrison Keillor's Christmas Letter (see link below) read at a concert I attended a couple of weeks ago, and found it amusing. I came home and looked it up so I could read it again. Although his liberal political leanings are quite obvious in a couple of places (they left these parts out when it was read at the concert), I still found many parts of it humorous and poignant.
http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Dec/13/op/FP612130348.html
So here is my little Christmas letter:
Dear Family and Friends,
This year has gone by faster than we wanted it to. There never seems to be enough time to accomplish everything, but we do the best we can.
David finished his schooling at the end of July and has been actively seeking employment in his field. No big break yet, though we are optimistic for 2011. I have enjoyed having him home during the day. He helps me get the girls ready for school and takes on some of the housework. And after 18 months of rarely seeing each other, we enjoy spending time together catching up on some of our favorite TV shows or seeing movies.
Lucy continues to do well in school and is learning the social ins and outs of 1st grade friendships. She has begun learning to play the piano, and although I know I'm not raising the next Mozart or Chopin, she learns quickly and is able to retain it. Lucy will celebrate her 7th birthday in a couple of months, but she is an "old soul" and thinks about things that are well beyond her years. She has high expectations of herself and is acutely aware of when her performance is below perfect. We encourage her often to just be a kid, and enjoy all the benefits of being young.
Amy is an excellent student and a good helper in her preschool class. She recognizes 17 out of 26 letters, can print her name (AMY E), and has an incredible memory. She also sings quite well. Amy has started fixing her own hair, and has her own sense of style when it comes to choosing clothing. She has fully taken on the role of being 4 years old, and plays her part well. She has a flair for the dramatic, and we find ourselves experiencing a wide range of emotions as we guide her toward positive choices.
Sadie has grown a lot this year. She is very passionate about The Berenstain Bears, her blanket, Grandpa P, and milk. (Not necessarily in that order.) She counts herself as one of the "big girls"--she says what they say, does what they do, and plays what they play. She even wears their clothing on occasion. If there is something she doesn't know how to do, she quietly waits and watches for someone else to do it, and then successfully attempts the task herself. She has acquired many new skills as a result of her careful observation. Her agility and coordination are frighteningly impressive.
As for me, I find contentment in the routines of daily life. Housework and child-raising responsibilities are interspersed with volunteer hours at the girls' school, church responsibilities, and 2 hobbies: singing and photography. Most of the time, working down in the trenches suits me just fine. I am currently in the middle of a bad hair season, but I am hopeful that will change for the better in 2011, along with additional weight loss and a more abundant vegetable garden and harvest.
We are grateful for good health, constant safety, and continued happiness, and of course for the love and support of our family and friends. Merry Christmas.
1 comment:
I'm so horrible about Christmas Letters/Cards. I think I have a bad attitude about them. My attitude is if people really cared about me and my family then they know the latest, so why bother with cards. I know it's horrible! I need an attitude adjustment.
I like your take on the cards.
Your girls are doing great and I will continue to think positive about David's job hunt.
Merry Christmas! Hoping we will be able to get together this next year when we move over to Tacoma!
Post a Comment