I know there are probably hundreds (if not more) of sites a person can visit to read reviews of any movie. I really don't care to begin to review movies on my own blog, but I saw "eat pray love" last night, and I haven't had such mixed emotions over a movie in a very long time. And since it's been a while since I posted something, I guess you're stuck reading my review of this movie.
I told a friend of mine that I was going to see "eat pray love", and she asked, "Have you read the book?" (No.) She then said, "It's wonderful. I loved it. I really admire the author." (Or something to that effect.) Because I like my friend a lot and I trust her judgment, I went into the theater with a small preconceived notion of absolutely loving every moment of the film.
Let me just say now that I still like my friend a lot, and I still trust her judgment. But...
I didn't love the movie.
I loved all of the people Liz Gilbert (the main character and author of the book) came in contact with. Each one was likeable, friendly, and genuine. Although I didn't necessarily see myself being friends with the people she met along the way, I can certainly see why others would be drawn to them.
I felt a lot of compassion for her ex-husband, even though I'm sure he could have done more (as she could have) to make their marriage work.
But try as I might, I could not find a way to really like Liz. At no point during the movie could I identify with whatever inner personal struggle she was going through. I understand not knowing who you are. I've been there. I understand feeling that lack of feeling and emotion. I've been there too. But I couldn't quite grab hold and enjoy the ride she was on for a couple of reasons:
1. She left her husband to "find herself". She didn't air her issues with him until they were sitting across from each other in a conference room (presumably at her attorney's office). Couldn't she have brought those things up when they actually began bothering her? No, she saved them up and used them as emotional ammunition to try to push her husband away from her and ease her path toward her own "self-actualization". I could never do this. I am so conscious about how my choices affect others that I couldn't knowingly cause anyone else a moment of pain or sadness because of something I wanted for myself. But back to Liz...
2. It became obvious pretty quickly that she has commitment issues, and I came out of the movie feeling like they weren't really resolved. She was so afraid of losing herself in whatever relationship she was in that she couldn't fully give her heart to the person she wasn't sure if she loved or not. I know that's confusing to anyone who understands that you don't have to lose your identity when you love someone else, but I guess if you don't know who you are to begin with, then losing what small piece of yourself you actually recognize would be a pretty big fear.
Here's what I did like about her journey:
1. The entire year was devoted to finding her word. This is better explained in the movie, but basically, every person, place, and thing has one word to describe it perfectly. Liz Gilbert went in search of finding the one word that fits who she is and who she wants to become. I like that idea. That being said, I have no clue what my word is, and I don't feel like I need to leave my family for a year to find out. If I never figure it out, that's okay too. But I get where she was going with it, and I think it's kinda cool.
2. I liked the various messages and bits of sage wisdom she collected along the way--smile with your liver...eat what you love...forgive yourself and then let it go... All very cliche, but good things to be reminded of every now and then.
See it if you want. Or don't. It isn't life-changing. And unless you can totally identify with the main character, Liz Gilbert, you won't really get much out of it. I am curious though, if she actually got it all figured out in real life. The movie sure doesn't leave me with the impression that she did. I guess I'll have to read the book and find out.
3 comments:
You got me interested in both book and movie. I think I will have to do it in that order though. A lot of movies don't do the books they are based on justice.
We'll see!
I spoke with several people who read the book and then went to the movie. Both commented that the movie was "exactly" like the book.
Personally I enjoyed the movie. The main character, Liz Gilbert, was not a "changed woman" because she never really found out who she was. I got the impression she married, but never was "into it." One year in seeking who she is, was not long enough for her. When the man at the end of the film wanted something more in the relationship, she could not commit. Many people go through their entire life never knowing who they really are and are unable to commit to anything!
You speak the truth, Aunt Dee Dee! A friend from church and I were talking about the movie, and I told her how I felt. She said there's a second book called "Commitment" that talks about her marriage to the guy at the end. But even still, she marries him because there ends up being a problem for him coming into the US, and they end up getting married so they can stay together.
Post a Comment