Last Thursday night, I went to the Relief Society (Women's Group) activity. I usually don't attend these activities for a few very valid reasons, but this one was a "Chocolate Appreciation Night". How could I resist? I even invited my mom.
When my mom and I got there, they had tables set up in a long line, with all different kinds of chocolate running down the middle of the tables. There were questions on strips of paper there, too. The idea was to get to know eachother better by asking questions, and then switching conversation partners after 2 minutes. Basically like speed dating, but for friendship instead of romance. Sounds like fun, right?
Well, actually, it was! But I have to share what happened on one of my "speed dates" with a new friend. She asked me, "What is the one thing you would like to be remembered for?" And after thinking for a few seconds I said, "Probably my cooking. After I die, I want people to think of me and say, 'Remember Gina? Yes...what a cook! She always made GREAT food.'." Then I said to her, "What about you?" And without skipping a beat she said, "In a talk I heard once, the speaker talked about that scripture in Proverbs about being a virtuous woman. I want to be remembered for being a virtuous woman."
Oh man, REALLY? I say I want people to remember my awesome food, and she whips out "virtuous woman"? How can I compete with that? Her answer reminded me of the last time I volunteered with Habitat for Humanity. It was my first time on a build here in Tacoma, so I was introduced to the volunteer coordinator who broke the ice by asking, "What is your biggest fear?" To which I replied, "Drowning. What's yours?" And he said, "My biggest fear would be a wasted life." Well, CRAP, people!
I must be incredibly shallow.
Either that or I really don't have to worry about whether or not I will be remembered as a virtuous woman who didn't waste her life.
I'll take Door #2.
4 comments:
I've had your cooking. Screw virtuousosity.
ha ha! I had to laugh cua that is the type of answer I would have given too. Instead of cooking I would have said something comparitivly shallow like my sense of humor or something of the sort.
I have never been a real deep person. I need someone to tell me if I'm suppose to think deep and serious.
Oh well, I liked your answers and honestly as long as you and you Mom had an enjoyable evening and especially had some great chocolate it was a success right!
ps I never go to RS night either.
Couldn't I be a virtuously good cook?
TOTALLY! I don't see why not!
Post a Comment