I hate New Year's resolutions. In the past, I've always chosen things that are completely unattainable (for me), and it doesn't take long before I become discouraged and give up altogether. This year, I've decided that I'm not resolving to be a thinner, healthier, prettier version of myself. It's time to accept the fact that I will never weigh 120 pounds. My bones alone weigh more than that. I think I would look emaciated, and my family would probably make me attend Eating Disorders Anonymous meetings. (No last names, please.) When I wear my nicer clothing (meaning something my children have not yet spilled or wiped their noses on), I really do look presentable and not as fat as I really am. The truth is, I am fairly healthy. I'm rarely sick and my body is in good condition (minus the dog bite on the arm and the sprained ankle--both of which are long stories not worth sharing and are healing quite nicely, if slowly). I eat a wide variety of foods, as part of a mostly balanced diet, and I do get some exercise every day, even if it's not at the gym or the track at the high school. And if I'm really honest with myself, I'm not totally ugly. I have really nice hair and eyes, and a nice, clear complexion. (Thank you, 250 mg of tetracycline daily.) And I'm a good person. I believe I am fair in my dealings with others, and I do my best to always use my turn signals.
Back to the point...
So this year, my resolutions are different. I've decided that 2010 is the year of Less Stress For Gina. As I find sources of stress in my life, and figure out new ways to handle them, I think it will transform me into more of the person I would like to be. I will be more patient with my children. I will be able to enjoy spending time with David even if the house isn't in perfect order at the end of the day. I won't feel the pressure of choosing between my family and my To-Do list. I will be able to allow myself the time to pursue my hobbies and interests. How wonderful will that be?
Let's just see if I can make it happen. Hopefully the year of Less Stress won't be too stressful to achieve.
3 comments:
Ah, wouldn't that be the ultimate in irony: stressing out over destressing.
Good for you! I hope you are able to achieve your wishes!
You are right you do clean up nicely. Sometimes I like to think I do too.
I need to do a New Years Resolution-I love yours.
Post a Comment