Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Gina Ellis, Photographer?

Lately, I've been doing a lot of thinking about photography.  I love to take pictures of my family and things in nature.  I have visited several photographers' websites, and as I look through their galleries/portfolios, I think to myself, "I could do this."

I was telling this to a good friend of mine who, when I mentioned that I would probably need some training, said to me, "No, you don't.  You have the photographer's eye...what you need is a $2,000 camera."  And she's right.  But in the meantime, I'm going to work on adding to my own portfolio.

I already know that I am not interested in doing wedding or engagement photos.  I am also not interested in high school senior or newborn baby photos.  (Unless they're family members.)  I would love to take pictures of children and families.  I think it would be really neat to take pictures of older couples.  My passion would be to take beautiful portraits of people with disabilities.  Pictures that would show you who they are--their souls--rather than just their disabilities.

I don't know if I want this to be a business for me.  I am less interested in making money with my pictures, and I'm nervous about the business aspect of pursuing this.  I don't want to deal with business licenses and taxes.  Eventually, maybe I will, but not for now.

Here are a few of my favorite photos that I've taken.  These are just portraits...I'll put a few of my favorite nature ones up at some point.  You can tell by the quality of the image that I've upgraded my camera a couple of times.  But I still love the composition of these, even though the quality isn't what I would get from top of the line equipment.












More soon.

2 comments:

Mike Pittman said...

You have an eye. Go with it!

me said...

I think you would be great. Also yes a nice camera does help, but really it is the person behind the camera that makes the picture great. You have it.