Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween and Other Stuff

Halloween was fun this year.  Lucy and I decorated the front of the house and made this "Ghosts in the Graveyard" cake:

 

Here are the girls in their Halloween costumes.  Lately, when I've tried to take pictures of all 3 girls, Lucy is the only one who is looking at the camera.  The other two are doing their own thing.  Grampa P was taking pictures too and that's who Lucy is looking at.


 





 

This is a good example of what I was talking about before:

See how Lucy is the only one looking?

Okay.  Now on to the "Other Stuff".  I always start with Lucy, so today I'll start with Sadie.

SADIE has been very whiny lately.  This is hard for me because I detest whining.  I wish all whining could be abolished forever.  Okay, enough about that!  Sadie has also been talking up a storm.  This is not new, but I love to listen to her little jabbering and make out what she's saying.  A new phrase she has picked up is "Not fair!"  For now, it's cute. 

Her current favorite person to hang out with is Lexie's boyfriend, Brandon.  She asks, "Where's Brandon?" several times a day.  We went out to eat with Lexie, Brandon, and Yaya the other night, and Sadie sat right next to him, and even tried his shrimp!  She spit it out, but at least she tried it. 

Sadie loves to go places.  She is very sad when someone walks out the door and doesn't take her along.  She cries like they hurt her personal feelings (which they probably did...what else does a 22-month-old POSSIBLY have to be upset about?).

She also loves her milk.  Boy, she drinks a lot of it.  I'm trying to reduce the amount she drinks, but she still gets about 16 ounces a day.  If she had it her way, she'd drink milk ALL. THE. TIME.  And she'd most likely skip eating.

She's cute, we love her, and she's growing into quite the toddler!

AMY is doing very well in school.  She loves to go every day.  She is a good friend to all of the other kids in her class.  Her teachers love her.  She is writing her name!  She usually gets the A and M written and runs out of room, so she puts the Y at the beginning. (She ends up spelling her name "YAM".)  She'll get it though!

Something new and exciting for us is how well she is doing regarding her clothing preferences.  Those who know Amy well know that she was VERY particular about her clothing.  And that's putting it mildly.  In mid-September, I was able to get Amy in to see an occupational therapist for an evaluation.  I explained about her clothing issues, and her unwillingness to wear her seat belt properly in the car.  I guess it's not an unwillingness...it's more of an inability.  When the seatbelt is properly on her, she screams that it is "too tight" and "it's burning me!" and she pulls it off or climbs out of it.  Often, she would take off her clothing in the car if she was upset about the seatbelt.  She spent most of her time at home wearing very little or no clothing.  After the OT completed the evaluation, she diagnosed Amy with a sensory disorder. 

We've been seeing the OT once a week, and also doing the Wilbarger brushing/joint compression therapy at home twice a day.  David and I have seen INCREDIBLE changes with Amy.  She has been wearing pants, long sleeves, a coat when necessary, socks, and shoes without complaint!  She even loves tights with her dresses!  She wears her clothing for longer and longer periods of time, and only rarely does she pull it off in the car or at home.  To us, it's a miracle that she has been able to adjust to wearing different types of clothing.  We don't have to worry about her not wearing proper clothing and a coat this winter!  The OT told me that we would have to continue the brushing and joint compressions for at least another year.

We are still working on getting her to wear the seat belt appropriately.  I purchased this seat belt adjuster for her to use in the car, and the she has been willing to wear the shoulder belt.  She still wants to put something between her and the lap belt.  Her stomach is very sensitive.  We have been trying some massage on her abdomen, but she only barely tolerates it for a few seconds.  And she wants her hand over mine for those few seconds.  But today at her OT appointment, she laid on her stomach on a platform swing for several minutes while playing a game with the therapist.  She would not let her stomach touch the bag of sensory balls the therapist wanted her to roll over, however.  I am also learning to tell when she has received too much sensory input, and needs some proprioceptive activities to get herself calm and centered again.

LUCY is, as always, doing incredible things.  Her piano lessons are going well.  She is the only kid I've ever seen who can sit down and sight read a piece of music perfectly the first time.

She's also an amazing reader!  She has been going into the Kindergarten classes once or twice a week in the afternoons to read to them!  They adore her.  She has started the Accelerated Reader program, and has already earned 5 points.  Her goal is to earn 10 points by Christmas Break.  She'll do it!  And probably surpass her goal.

More soon.

No comments: