Saturday, October 9, 2010

S-T-P Conferences

This past week we had conferences with both Lucy and Amy's teachers.  It makes me happy to go to conferences, because then I get confirmation of what I already know--my kids are really smart and pretty wonderful and I'm not the only one who thinks so.  And now, you can think so too!  So here's the low-down:

AMY

Amy makes her teachers smile every single day.  She's funny and easygoing, and she is a good friend to all of the other kids in the class.  She has a lot of love and compassion for others, and an incredible memory.

Academic Goal: Improve her pincer grip. (No, I did not mispell "pincer".)  We will try to do more writing and coloring at home, and when we see her using a fist-grip, we will reposition the crayon or pencil with the prompt "Pinch-pinch under!" just like they do at school.

LUCY

Lucy's teacher described her as a wonderful, talented, intelligent student who expresses herself very well and is mature for her age.  She also told us that Lucy had perfect attendance for the month of September--no absences or tardies.  Way to go, Us!  She showed us Lucy's latest Math test (100%) and her DIBELS reading scores (all above the benchmark for 1st grade).  The most amazing thing she showed us, though, was a list of 300 sight words.  By January 2011, all 1st graders should be able to read 100 sight words.  By May, they've got to read 200 to meet the benchmark.  On September 15, Lucy read 283 out of 300 words.  Her teacher is excited to see how Lucy will do on the DIBELS test in December.  There is a part of the test that the student is given a passage to read that is at the 3rd or 4th grade level, and they've got to try to read it at 40 WPM.  We all think Lucy will do amazingly well.

Academic Goal: Start Lucy on the Accelerated Reader program, and earn 10 points by December.

I am very, very happy with how well my kids are doing in school.  The school they attend is awesome, and the teachers and administration show an interest in making sure the children are successful.  Many people I know were surprised that I chose to send Lucy to a public school with a negative reputation, and had not made adequate yearly progress in several years.  The negative reputation was completely false, and last year, for the first time in a long time, the school DID make AYP.  I could not ask for a better, more nurturing environment for Lucy and Amy while they are away from home.

3 comments:

me said...

So happy to hear that the girls are doing so well in school and loving it too. The Pincer grip is something that I'm trying to work on with Jared as well.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Anonymous said...

When I was in elementary school, we all did Accelerated Reader for our 'reading' program. It was awesome, because I was a better reader than most of the kids in my class (as it sounds like your girl is), so I got to read stuff that actually challenged me.

It was really awesome, and I bet she'll love it!

Dee said...

You are awesome parents and with the great support from Gramma Steph and Grampa Mike, the girls will continue to blossom. Hurrah for Lucy! We can always use another pianist beside Gramma S and Gina. Hurrah for David. I continue to pray for jobs opening up for him.
I am happy you are applying for work with the school district. Gina, you have the patience needed in order work with special needs kids.
God bless you all.
Love, Aunt Dee Dee