Wednesday, July 8, 2009

An Update (pictures coming later)

I can't believe it's been 5 weeks since my last post. Life is hectic as always, and seems even busier than when Lucy was in school. I've got some new pictures, but I have to go through the pesky process of unloading them from the camera to the computer. That will have to wait until tomorrow at least. Then I'll get them posted up here.

For now, I can report that we are all happy, healthy, and enjoying life. David is doing awesome in school--right now his big project is repairing/rebuilding a few switches for Zoo Lights. He finished the programming today for the microcontrollers that make the lights blink. He is also collaborating with another student to build a wind turbine. I don't understand all of it, but I know he is LOVING every minute of every day.

His part time job has quickly turned into a full time job, and a typical day for him goes like this: Wake up at 6:30. Get to school by 7 or 7:15. School until 3, sometimes he stays until 3:30. Come home, sit/nap for an hour or so, get ready for work, and leave by about 4:30. Work starts at 5, and then he usually falls into bed after coming home from work between 2 and 2:30 AM. Wake up at 6:30... And round and round we go. He had the last couple of days off, and that is a rare occurrence. I actually consider it a treat to have him work on Saturday nights so that we get to see him for a few hours Saturday morning. And this doesn't even include the time spent on his church responsibilities. He was just recently moved from the Young Men's Presidency (boys 12 to 18) to the Elder's Quorum Presidency (men 18 to whatever). Fortunately, the girls still know who he is.

Lucy is having a great summer so far. A few weeks ago, Grampa P taught her to ride her bike without the training wheels. She picked it up SO fast! This is her last summer of toddlerhood, I guess, because she'll be starting Kindergarten in the fall. We've started to compile her wardrobe (the school has a uniform policy), and printed out her supply list. So much for FREE and appropriate public education. This kid needs dry erase markers, ziploc baggies, band-aids, and tissues in addition to the crayons, colored pencils, glue sticks (6 of them!), and pink eraser. I think there's a couple more things I'm missing... It sounds like I'm griping, but I'm not. Actually, being married to someone who was an educator, I know how much teachers have to buy with their own money, because the school does not provide it (or have the budget for it). The $250 educator tax credit you get at the end of the year does not even begin to cover what teachers purchase with their own money. So, I'm happy to get whatever is needed. Lucy will have a great year, I know it.

Amy is just Amy. She's wild and crazy and fun and high drama all at the same time. She is driven by some inner motor that just doesn't let her rest until she falls asleep out of exhaustion. i don't think she is capable of walking anywhere or of being quiet. The other day my neighbor brought her puppy down the street, and Amy is a little scared of him so she ran away into the house. My neighbor said, "Don't run! The dog thinks you're prey!" Amy looked at her with this weird look, so she says to Amy, "You know, PREY? Like on the Discovery Channel?" I replied, "Um, she's 2. She doesn't watch the Discovery Channel. Also, asking Amy not to run is like asking the Pope to not be Catholic. It just won't happen."

In other Amy news, I think she is growing out of her lactose intolerance. She won't drink a cup of regular milk (lactose-free milk is quite sweet), but I've put it on her cereal, in her macaroni and cheese, and I've given her ice cream, goldfish crackers, and buttermilk pancake mix (not at the same time, though) and she has no reaction whatsoever. I read that most kids grow out of this by the age of 3, and that's certainly right on target.

Sadie is just a sweetheart. She'll hit the 7-month mark on July 16th. No teeth yet, but she is able to hold her own bottle! We've started her on a little baby food--she's had prunes, sweet potatoes, and pears so far, and loves all three. She sleeps well at night, and has been sitting up on her own for several weeks now. She also actually plays with her toys. It's amazing--she already loves to "show off" what she's playing with, and knows how to make the battery-powered toys make noise by pushing the buttons or whatever. She will also occasionally wave hello and good-bye to people. What a smartie! I can already tell Sadie will rule the world someday.

As for me, I'm just plugging along one day at a time! My mom and I have done quite a bit of gardening, and we have quite the vegetable garden this year. Zucchini, Yellow Crookneck, Butternut Squash, Pumpkins, Tomatoes, Artichokes, Watermelon, Tomatoes, Eggplant, and Corn. We're already planning for next year, and we haven't even had a harvest for this year! It has been a lot of fun. We have several other projects in the plans--like a firepit in the backyard where we can roast marshmallows, hot dogs, and just enjoy a fire on a chilly autumn night.

There's definitely more to come. Look for pictures soon.

Gina

2 comments:

me said...

Wow does David ever sleep!? Holy Cow. Can't call him lazy that's for sure.
Dry Erase markers? That is something we never needed for school.
Sounds like Amy and Jared would get along great. We should get them together so they can wear each other out. Jared goes non-stop, especially his legs and mouth!
Looking forward to the pics!

suepeterson710 said...

Dear Gina, I don't have your email but I wanted to tell you thank you so much for standing up for Carolyn. She was so hurt with those awful comments and you were right there to defend her. You are a good friend.